7 Night discounted luxury holiday at JW Marriott
HOLIDAY TO MAURITIUS
Friendly, inviting and relentlessly beautiful – welcome to Mauritius! Beaches, temples, lagoons, rainforests, reefs, waterfalls, shopping, dining… Mauritius is one of the best holiday spots in the Indian Ocean. For the adventurous and active, the array of Mauritius holiday options is endless; from scuba diving and snorkelling to sailing and deep sea fishing, or water-skiing and parasailing, kite surfing and yoga, quad biking and horse riding – you name it, Mauritius has got it.
HISTORY OF MAURITIUS
Mauritius was a Dutch colony in the 1600s until it was occupied by the French in the 1700s and then it became a British Colony in the 1800s. Mauritius gained independence from Britain in the late 1960s after almost 200 years, and finally became a Republic in 1992. It is this rich history that gives rise to a number of different cultures and cuisines being prevalent on the island of Mauritius.
MAURITIUS LANGUAGE & CULTURE
Due to its multicultural diversity, Mauritius boasts a number of spoken languages. With immigrants from Africa, India, France, the UK, and China, there is a vast mixture of cultures, languages, and traditions. Both English and French are generally accepted as the official languages (with French being the most dominant), and Creole being the most commonly used language on the street.
Mauritius is blessed with a tropical climate and is a fantastic year-round destination. Temperatures range from the low to mid-20s°C in the cooler months (April to October), up to the late 20s°C and early 30s°C during the gorgeous summer months from November to March.
TIME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAURITIUS AND SOUTH AFRICA
Mauritius is 2 hours ahead of South Africa
CURRENCY IN MAURITIUS
The monetary unit is the Mauritian Rupee (Rs) which is divided into 100 cents. Major currencies such as US Dollars and Euros, and even South African Rands, are accepted in most hotels and by many vendors. You don’t need to schlepp to get forex before you travel to Mauritius, you can literally convert Rands to Rupees on arrival at the airport or simply draw local currency at an ATM.
WHAT TO DO IN MAURITIUS
Mauritius has an impressive array of activities available for your island holiday – from exhilarating zip lining to cultural temple visits. Of course, it’s also very important to factor in plenty of time to soak up the sun around your hotel pool. If you are looking for more than the beach in Mauritius, look at what is in store for you:
- Deep Sea Fishing – Mauritius is a paradise for deep sea fishing - the ocean is 70 metres deep just one kilometre away from the coast. Species include the blue or black marlin, all types of sharks, yellow tuna, bonitos, barracuda and more. Huge fish like the Blue Marlin roam the seas and hunt around Mauritius from November to April. Mauritius holds several world fishing records. Fishing boats can be hired from almost all hotels.
- Spa and Wellbeing– If you’re looking for some pampering be sure to visit the spa found at most hotels in Mauritius where you can put yourself into the capable hands of experts and allow yourself to be carried away by your senses (you deserve it)!
- Golf – What could be more pleasant than being on holiday in Mauritius whilst having the opportunity to improve your golf skills? There are some really good golf courses in Mauritius, including Heritage Golf Club at Bel Ombre, Ile Aux Cerfs Golf Club, Tamarina, the Links and Legends courses at Belle Mare Plage and Four Seasons Golf Club at Anahita.
- Shopping- Mauritius’ reputation as a shopping paradise is enhanced by the diversity and quality of shopping opportunities. From sophisticated shopping centres to small craft shops and bustling market stalls, there is something for everyone. Whatever happens, you can’t leave Mauritius without a sega outfit and at least one frangipani hair clip!
- Scuba Diving and Snorkelling– Mauritius is fantastic for diving all year round. A barrier reef encircles almost the entire island which creates a shallow lagoon reef, making it particularly good diving for beginners. On the other side of the barrier reef, caverns and crevasses as well as a bunch of ship wrecks will delight the more experienced divers out there.
- Nightlife- Most hotels in Mauritius offer nightly entertainment but for those seeking a little more, there is lots of fun to be had on the island. The nightlife scene of Mauritius entices with beach clubs, happening nightclubs, casinos, bars & pubs with live music, and even laid back lounges.
WHAT TO PACK FOR YOUR MAURITIUS HOLIDAY
- As a guide, the maximum weight for checked luggage is 20kg in economy class and 30kg in business class
- Your hand-luggage should not weigh more than 6kg and needs to be small and compact
- Take along your best beach and casual wear, perfect for the day
- The dress-code for dinner is usually smart casual and gents are required to wear long trousers
- Sunglasses and suntan lotion are a must
- Don’t forget any medication that you might need, and be sure to pack it in your hand luggage
- Chargers for all your devices (it’s a good idea to take along a few movies on a tablet or something similar as the English TV channels in your hotel may be limited)
- Swimming shoes and goggles
- Mosquito repellent
- A hat or cap
- And for whatever you leave behind, take it as an opportunity for some retail therapy. Mauritius is a living and working island so you will be able to get most things you might need. In fact, you won’t regret a trip to the shops or markets.
MAURITIUS TRAVEL TIPS
- Pack a change of clothing in your hand luggage in case of baggage delays (and a spare cozzie so at least you can have a swim when you get to your resort)
- Clothing creases less if rolled in a sausage shape when packed – so roll, don’t fold
- No sharp objects are permitted in your hand luggage (yes, tweezers are sharp!)
- Travel insurance is a must. If you can’t afford it, you can’t afford to travel!
- Travelling with kids – please check that you have all the relevant documents including unabridged Birth Certificates.
- Put electronics, medication, toothbrushes and jewellery in your carry-on bag
- It’s often a good idea to let your bank or credit card company know that you’re going overseas
- Be patient, be flexible, be spontaneous and have the best time ever!
- Return flights to Mauritius on Air Mauritius
- Return resort transfers
- 7 nights accommodation in a Junior Suite
- Breakfast & dinner daily
- All taxes; levies and surcharges (estimate)
Packages are subject to availability at the time of the reservation.
Passport & visa costs (if applicable), travel insurance & items of a personal nature are also not included.
Prices are subject to change without prior notice due to airfare increases and currency fluctuations.
Rebooking and cancellations fees apply.
All prices are per person sharing unless otherwise specified.
Standard terms and conditions apply.
Get a Quote
Interested in this package? Fill out the form and we'll get you a quote in no time →
Insight Vacations - Dalmatian Elegance 8 night cruise from R35 100 pps - cruise only
Insight Vacations - Dalmatian Elegance
Costsaver - Jewels of Italy 6 night tour from R18 720 pps - land only
Costsaver - Jewels of Italy
Costsaver - European Experience 11 night tour from R32 850 pps - land only
Costsaver - European Experience